Work Completed this Week:
Rain associated with Hurricane Eta delayed the restoration efforts on Osprey Ave. The 6-inches of rain drenched the road base, which was removed and replaced with dry material. Thankfully, Garney will be able to pave the first section of Osprey Ave tomorrow so that gravity sewer pipe installation can continue down Osprey Ave. In preparation for the gravity sewer installation on Osprey Ave, Garney installed the wellpoints for the groundwater dewatering system as well as located utilities in the corridor. Garney has also begun to pot-hole and locate utilities on Alta Vista.
On the Lincoln Ave & Osprey Ave intersection, construction of the improvements continue. Last week, the contractor installed the new stormwater drainage pipes and inlet structures in the intersection. Sidewalks on the Northeast corner were re-poured. The layer of road base in the intersection and the bridge approach was started. Also, the survey layout of the curbs and ADA ramps for the intersection was staked.
On the Lift Station 87 site, the Lift Station has been in operation full time for almost 4-weeks. The Phase 2 contractor is putting the finishing touches on the building, as well as completing the site work: road base for the pervious paver driveway, trees & landscaping installation, and irrigation system installation.
Work Upcoming in Next Week:
- No work scheduled from Thursday 11/26 to Sunday 11/30 (Happy Thanksgiving!)
- Wednesday, pave Osprey Ave with first 2-inches of asphalt.
- Continue gravity sewer installation and set first manhole.
- Osprey Ave. and Lincoln Drive intersection improvements: curbs, sidewalks, and road base.
Work Planned for December:
To provide a little more detail on how the rest of year looks, the goal the rest of the year is:
- Install the gravity sewer on Osprey Ave just up to the intersection of Alta Vista.
- Restore Osprey Ave to where the pipe installation stops (just North of the Alta Vista intersection)
- Install the 8-inch water main from Bahia Vista to the North Side of the Alta Vista intersection.
- Have the Osprey & Lincoln Drive intersection improvements complete (less final layer of Asphalt)
- Demobilize the construction equipment for Osprey Ave. This includes the trench box – the intent of Garney is to not leave the excavation open during the holiday. They will either remove the trench box, or install road plates over the excavation.
- No work Scheduled from December 24 – January 3.
We had hoped to be further along with the project before the Christmas break. However, Garney is working on a revised work schedule and bringing on more resources to meet the project deadlines. I will share details on the revised work schedule once I have had a chance to review them.
Anthony Centurione, PE
Utilities Engineering Manager
City of Sarasota
Lift Station 87 Field Office
824 S. Osprey Ave
Sarasota, FL 34236